Contagious Mastitis Control in Dairy Cows
- Understand proper indications for the use of antimicrobials for contagious mastitis in dairy cattle.
- Understand the need to follow proper treatment protocols when using an antibiotic to treat individual cows for contagious udder pathogens.
- Understand how somatic cell counts and culture results are used to formulate a herd antibiotic treatment plan for contagious udder pathogens.
- Describe how antimicrobial treatment of contagious udder pathogens
can be greatly reduced in herds by using effective mastitis prevention
and control programs.
- Understand the futility of using antibiotics to treat cases of
contagious mastitis if the cow is to be returned to a herd where she
will quickly become re-infected.