Antibiotic Use in Feline Urinary Tract Disease
Written by Shauna Voss DVM, Judy Lulich DVM, PhD, Katherine
Waters DVM, MPH, and Jeff Bender DVM, MS
Feline Urinary Tract Disease
Judicious use of antimicrobials encompasses the dual goals of eradicating of infection while avoiding development of antimicrobial resistance.
Judicious Use of Antimicrobials encompasses:
- Using an antibiotic only when indicated,
- Choosing a cost-effective agent which provides appropriate antibiotic coverage for the diagnosis that is suspected,
- Prescribing the optimal dose and duration of the antibiotic.
After completing this module, we hope you learn the following:
- When to use antibiotics to treat feline lower urinary tract disease.
- Factors that need to be considered when using antibiotic therapy, such as dose, frequency, and effective monitoring.
- The importance of bacterial culture results in the selection of an antibiotic.