8. Reference List
- DANMAP. 2007. Use of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, foods and humans in Denmark. http://www.danmap.org. Access May 2010.
- Murphy, C. P. 2010. Antimicrobial resistance, antimicrobial use and infection control in community small animal veterinary hospitals in southern Ontario. (A thesis presented to the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Guelph in partial fulfillment of requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy) University of Guelph, Guelph Ontario Canada.
- Weese JS. 2006. Investigation of antimicrobial use and the impact of antimicrobial use guidelines in a small animal veterinary teaching hospital: 1995-2004. J Am Vet Med Assoc, 228:553-8.
- Watson AD, Maddison JE. 2001. Systemic antibacterial drug use in dogs in Australia. Aust Vet J, 79:740-6.
- Odensvik K, Grave K, Greko C. 2001. Antibacterial drugs prescribed for dogs and cats in Sweden and Norway 1990-1998. Acta Vet Scand, 42:189-98.
- Prescott JF, Hanna WJ, Reid-Smith R, et al. 2002. Antimicrobial drug use and resistance in dogs. Can Vet , 43:107-16.
- Rantala M, Holso K, Lillas A, et al. 2004. Survey of condition-based prescribing of antimicrobial drugs for dogs at a veterinary teaching hospital. Vet Rec, 155:259-62.
- Holso K, Rantala M, Lillas A, et al. 2005. Prescribing antimicrobial agents for dogs and cats via university pharmacies in Finland--patterns and quality of information. Acta Vet Scand, 46:87-93.
- Murphy CP, Reid-Smith RJ, Prescott JF, et al. 2009. Occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in selected bacteria in healthy dogs and cats presented to private veterinary clinics in Southern Ontario. Can Vet J, 50:1047-53.
- Ogeer-Gyles J, Mathews KA, Sears W, et al. 2006. Development of antimicrobial drug resistance in rectal Escherichia coli isolates from dogs hospitalized in an intensive care unit. J Am Vet Med Assoc, 229:694-9.
- Medleau L, Long RE, Brown J, et al. 1986. Frequency and antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus species isolated from canine pyodermas. Am J Vet Res, 47:229-31.
- Rantala M, Lahti E, Kuhalampil J, et al. 2004. Antimicrobial resistance in Staphylococcus spp., Escherichia coli and Enterococcus spp. in dogs given antibiotics for chronic dermatological disorders, compared with non-treated control dogs. Acta Vet Scand, 45:37-45.
- Faires, MC, 2008. Evaluation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and characterization of S. pseudintermedius in dogs and cats. (A thesis presented to the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Guelph in partial fulfillment of requirements for the degree of Master of Science) University of Guelph, Guelph Ontario Canada.
- Trott, DJ, Filippich LJ, Bensink JC, et al. 2004. Canine model for investigating the impact of oral enrofloxacin on commensal coliforms and colonization with multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli. J Med Microbiol, 53: 439-43.
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association. 2000. Guidelines on the prudent use of antimicrobial drugs in animals. http://canadianveterinarians.net/Documents/Resources/Files/85_Resources_Prudent-Use-of-Antimicrobial-Drugs-in-Animals.pdf. Accessed May 2010.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners. 2001. Basic guidelines of judicious therapeutic use of antimicrobials in cats. http://www.catvets.com/uploads/PDF/antimicrobials.pdf. Accessed May 2010.
- American Veterinary Medical Association. 2006. American association of feline practitioners/American animal hospital association basic guidelines of judicious therapeutic use of antimicrobials. http://www.avma.org.subzero.lib.uoguelph.ca/issues/policy/jtua_aafp_aaha.asp. Accessed May 2010.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners/American Animal Hospital Association. 2006. Basic guidelines of judicious therapeutic use of antimicrobials. http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/AAFP_AAHA_AntimicrobialGuidelines.pdf. Accessed May 2010.
- Morley PS, Apley MD, Besser TE, et al. 2005. Antimicrobial drug use in veterinary medicine. J Vet Intern Med, 19:617-29.
- Allen D.G, Pringle J.K, Smith D.A., Pasloske K., and Dayger K. 2005. Handbook of Veterinary Drugs. Baltimore Maryland. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
|Please feel free to leave any questions or comments you might have in our suggestion box.|